Poinsettia, a Christmas myth

02 Dec

Poinsettia, a favorite Holiday plant and home decor must have! Over the years the popularity of this seasonal favorite and misinformation about them has caused sales to wane. Many people were under the misconception that the poinsettia plant was a danger to pets and a rather poisonous specimen. I’d like to dispel the poinsettia toxicity myth.

According to SAF Society of American Florist “The poinsettia is the most widely tested plant and proven to be non toxic. Research at Ohio State University revealed that a pet or child would have to ingest more than 500 leaves to become seriously ill.” The term poisonous has been greatly exaggerated. That being said, when ingested, mild signs of vomiting, drooling, or rarely, diarrhea may be seen. Did you know
Poinsettias are one of the longest-lasting blooming plants available to consumers.

Now that you’ve put the rumors aside and learned the truth, embrace the upcoming National Poinsettia Day on December 12th. Stop into the shop and pick out your favorite color and variety and while you are here, you can feel good about grabbing one for a neighbor or co-worker. Spread kindness, spread knowledge and spread Holiday cheer, because after all the truth about poinsettias is simply a Christmas myth, just as Santa Claus is.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply